Tuesday 2 October 2012

Week 1: Honours Project


Meeting 1


  • The meetings shall take place on Tuesdays (unless unavailable)
  • Dr Johns office is E260
  • Project proposal in talk to be accepted in coming weeks (must be completed before Oct 19th)
  • Let 24 weeks of development begin . . .  
Picture
On Tuesday, 25/09/2012 I went to my supervisor - Dr John - to review my progress and check if I was proper use of my time thus far.

During the meeting it raised many important questions that I had considered, but perhaps needed a re-think and other ideas which I had not thought of.

I have now got a dissertation topic question which has been refined to this: 

"What are the issues involved in creating a well-designed HTML5 game in
Titanium SDK and hosted online: The case of Ipad2 & the Pulse game engine"

So that's one thing. The next aspect of the development had us discuss factors of the availability of papers - this is something I will need to look deeper into since HTML5 is a recent technology, there are limited (next to none) research carried out: this is why professors and lectures wait until it has been around for a bit to analysis it.

I also brought up the question that was building for the Ipad requires an apple license so what I asked was to develop purely as a browser based game but which would be solely for the ipad2 to play. This was fine. It's certainly put my mind at ease on the matter as obtaining an apple license wasn't necessarily my plan for the project - apples hideous website alone is enough to put anyone off their products in my opinion: the company which is great at design aye right! 

Nonetheless, a further piece of advice was offered when Dr John said that it is vital that the project must have some basis to judge how well the specification has been met. Since there have been little research in this area it's going to be tough. I offered my thought on play test evaluation and this was enough of a measure. 

I developed a menu for the game but it does not fit the ipad2 screen yet which requires scaling.



So, to summarize, the project shall be a platform game build for the ipad2 in HTML5/pulse engine to be hosted online which utilizes good practice design and is evaluated via gamer play-tests (option to look into creating forms to collect the data). 

The gant chart shall be reviewed on week 7 - and a new segment of the chart shall be cut and pasted in order to view the details better.


This is the full version of the chart below..


Let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment